On Wednesday, December 28, 2016, the Board of Supervisors will decide whether or not to sign documents to receive a loan of approximately $57,000,000 from the USDA to build a new Sheriff’s facility on Missouri Flat Road.
Here is a link to agenda item and documents:
While it is clear that the current Sheriff’s facility is in need of repair and/or replacement, the magnitude of this loan, in addition to other County infrastructure projects, has the potential to create a situation where the County’s expenses will outweigh its revenues.
Here are snippets from the Chief Administrative Officer’s Report:
On October 6, 2016, due to concerns arising from the new Sheriff’s facility, Save Our County sent a letter to Doug Colucci, Area Specialist of Rural Development for the USDA. Those concerns include:
- The County’s potential violation of the California Constitution due to the proposed indebtedness exceeding revenues (Article XVI, Section 18)
- The potential for additional costs of road infrastructure required to accommodate the new location on Missouri Flat Road
- The obvious disqualification because the County’s population exceeds 20,000
- The potential for additional costs to clean up the former Superfund site
- The concern for public safety by locating to a new site on a congested road that is distant from the highway corridor, and more.
The complete document submitted to the USDA is available here: comments-regarding-sheriffs-complex
If any of these items concern you, please contact Doug Colucci, Area Specialist of Rural Development for the USDA at: Doug.Colucci@ca.usda.gov, 916-212-5088
Additionally, you may want to attend the Board meeting or contact the Supervisors. However, based on the Board’s past actions and lack of response, we encourage you to contact the USDA.
To: <email@example.com>, <firstname.lastname@example.org>, <email@example.com>, <firstname.lastname@example.org>, <email@example.com>, <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Subject: USDA Loan, 12-28-16 Agenda Item #2, File #16-0398
Wednesday, December 28, 2016 at 10:00 am
Board of Supervisors – temporary location
2850 Fairlane Court, Placerville