May 23, 2017 El Dorado County Board of Supervisors joins appeal of Court Ruling
April 14, 2017 Court Ruling in Georgetown Preservation Society v County of El Dorado, El Dorado Board of Supervisors
The Georgetown Preservation Society filed a lawsuit based on these numerous violations. Their lawyer chose to only focus on the loss of aesthetics and historic quality environment. The Judge only needed one element showing lack of necessary mitigation and violation of the law to require a full EIR. The evidence submitted by the community was enough, in spite of Supervisor Ranalli’s opinion to the contrary.
April 5, 2016 Dollar General project Board of Supervisors hearing
On April 5, 2016, the Board of Supervisors voted 4 – 1 to approve the Dollar General project.
Supervisor Ranalli’s defense for approving the Dollar General Project was that, “All of us were sworn in to follow the law.”
The community listed numerous circumstances in which this project violated county policies and environmental law. Yet Supervisor Ranalli ignored this testimony and evidence and voted with the only party at the meeting in favor of the project, the CEO for the El Dorado County Chamber.
Public Testimony at the April 5, 2016 Board of Supervisors hearing:
Message to the Folks in Georgetown prior to the April 5, 2016 Board of Supervisors meeting: Want to stop the Dollar General project?
The most efficient way to stop this project is to ask Supervisor Ranalli to do an emergency measure to implement a Historic District overlay for Main Street, Georgetown: email@example.com or 530-621-6513.
Otherwise, your only options are to hold the Planning Commission to the design standards of a Design Community overlay, or to not combine the three parcels.
The three parcels have a Design Community (DC) overlay.
Because the parcels are zoned commercial you can’t really fight the commercial use, but you can challenge health and safety issues, such as water, sewer, transportation, drainage, etc. and challenge the look of the buildings based on the following DC development codes:
Sec. 130.74.020. – Purpose.
- For the protection, enhancement and use of places, sites, buildings and structures having special character, aesthetic interest and value;
- Enhancement of tourism and the economy of the County by protecting and preserving places having special and unique character and interest.
Sec. 130.74.030. – Creation of districts.
The Board of Supervisors, following consideration by the Planning Commission, may create new design review districts. When creating a new design review district, the Board of Supervisors shall find that the area proposed is:
- An area of special, natural beauty and aesthetic interest forming a basic resource in the economy of the County; the preservation of which would enhance the character of the County and local communities and promote tourist attractions; or
- Areas, places, sites, structures or uses which have special historical significance as identified by an agency representing Federal, State or local historical concerns; or
- Both Subsections 1 and 2 of this section.
Sec. 130.74.040. – Sierra design and community design review districts; restrictions.
- Any district created pursuant to Section 130.74.030.1 shall be designated on zoning maps as either design Sierra (-DS) or as design community (-DC) as the case may be.
- All new commercial within the boundaries of a community design district shall conform in exterior styling to that style of architecture described in Subsection C of this section. Approval for compliance with design criteria shall be provided for in Section 130.74.115.
C.The architectural styling for new construction permitted in the community design districts shall be that which is exemplified and meets the intent of the community design guide which shall be adopted by the Board of Supervisors. These design guides shall provide guidelines and examples for architectural styles and site design permitted in the subject districts.
LINKS TO CORPORATE AND SUBSIDY INFORMATION REGARDING DOLLAR GENERAL:
Link to County website for Dollar General project: